Friday, November 4, 2011

Job searching. It's easily one of the most frustrating things to do. You find a job you think you'd be good for, you apply, you fill out pages and pages of questions, you take tests to see if you're compatible, and then you wait to hear back from the employer. Then you'll either get an interview or you won't. My problem right now is something I've had happen to me the last few times I've applied for a job. I get a phone call from the manager, of course it never comes while I'm at home so the entire time I'm working I'm wondering who called me and can't wait to clock out to listen to my voice mail. The second I finally listen to it, I get so excited and I start thinking about working there and how I'll tell my current employer that I'm leaving. After getting home and sitting down at my desk, I call the manager and find out that I did really well on the test and they really liked my application/resume. At this point, I feel like if I were reading a book this would be the climax of the story. I know that this phone call is going to go two ways: either they're going to tell me that the salary requirements I put down aren't what they would start people in that position and I'd be lucky to even get paid that much or that the salary I put down is very doable and that they'd like for me to come in for an interview. I'm still at the job I got sophomore year of college so you can imagine the option I keep getting. I don't think I'm asking too much, I've got student loans and a car loan to pay for, I know what I can and can't accept. At the same time, I feel like a real asshole turning down a job because I won't get paid what I know I need to get paid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super thankful I have the job I do have because I know way too many people who are unemployed. But, I also know I didn't attend college for nothing and I plan on using my degree some day. For now, I guess I'll hope for the best. One of my goals this year was to get a new job, I guess it'll be a goal that carries over into next year.

No comments: